Erie County residents, whether they are beginner, amateur or professional photographers, are encouraged to submit up to two of their favorite photos taken at the Lake Erie Arboretum at Frontier (LEAF) via the online submission form. Photos can be submitted through July 15, 2017.
Thirteen winning photographs will be chosen, including one Best of Show. Up to thirty honorable mentions will also be selected. All winners and honorable mentions will be notified by July 31, 2017. The thirteen winning photos will then be printed in LEAF’s 2018 wall calendars, which will be available in November 2017. The winners and honorable mentions will all be featured in an exhibition at the LEAF Education Center (1501 W 6th St) during LEAF’s annual fundraiser ArborEAT’em on Saturday, August 26th, with public viewing hours on Sunday, August 27th, Monday, August 28th, and Tuesday, August 29th from noon to 4pm. If your photo is chosen for the wall calendar and exhibition you will also have the opportunity to make your framed photograph available for sale during the exhibition.
The following prizes will be awarded to the winning photographs:
- $100 to Best in Show
- $50 to 2nd place
- $25 to 3rd place
- Photographers featured in the exhibition are invited to attend ArborEAT’em as our guest and may purchase a second ticket at a discounted price of $50 (the exhibition will also be available for viewing during this private event).
LEAF initiated this contest to feature local talent and showcase the beauty of the arboretum through the eyes of local residents. Each entrant can submit up to two photos. LEAF would like to encourage everyone to participate and wish all photographers, beginner to professional, the best of luck!
- To be eligible for consideration, photos must be taken at the Lake Erie Arboretum at Frontier Park (LEAF). Photos can be from any season and any location within the arboretum.
- Photographer must be a resident of Erie County, PA.
- Each entrant can submit up to two photos.
- Photographs must be submitted in .jpeg, .jpg, .gif or .png format, at least 2,000 pixels wide and no larger than 10 MB. Please retain a high-resolution version of your photograph(s) in your personal files. You will need to have a higher-resolution image on hand, a minimum of 300 dpi and 3,000 pixels on the longest side, to be considered in the final rounds of the contest.
- We do not accept photographs submitted through the mail and do not accept more than one contestant per e-mail address. High-quality scans of non-digital photographs are acceptable. Digital photographs should be taken at the highest resolution possible.
- Winners and honorable mentions will be asked to submit a framed print of the selected photo(s) for display at an exhibition at the LEAF Education Center (1501 W 6th St) during LEAF’s annual fundraiser ArborEAT’em on Saturday, August 26th, with public viewing hours on Sunday, August 27th, Monday, August 28th, and Tuesday, August 29th from noon to 4pm. If your photo is chosen for the wall calendar and exhibition you will also have the opportunity to make your framed photograph available for sale during the exhibition.
- Photographers featured in the exhibition are invited to attend ArborEAT’em as our guest and may purchase a second ticket at a discounted price of $50.
- Sales are encouraged to help benefit LEAF programs. A 30% commission will be charged on all sales; any additional donation by artists is greatly appreciated.
- Unsold photos must be picked up on one of the following dates:
- Wednesday, August 30, 8:30am-4:30pm
- Thursday, August 31, 11:30-4:30pm
- Artwork remaining after this is considered abandoned and becomes property of LEAF (unless alternate pickup arrangements have been confirmed with a LEAF staff member in advance).
- LEAF reserves the right to disqualify incomplete entries and/or contestants who are unable to submit, upon request, a high-resolution photograph of at least 300 dpi at 3,000 pixels on the longest side (i.e. of suitable quality for creating a print of at least 8×10″). Mobile photographs must be submitted at their highest resolution.
- You retain your rights to your photograph; however, by entering the contest, you grant LEAF (and those authorized by LEAF) a royalty-free, world-wide, perpetual, non-exclusive license to publicly display, distribute, reproduce and create derivative works of the entries, in whole or in part, in any media now existing or later developed, for any LEAF purpose, including, but not limited to, advertising and promotion of the organization and its website, exhibition, and commercial products, including but not limited to LEAF publications, calendars, or note cards. Any photograph reproduced will include a photographer credit as feasible. LEAF will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such uses.
- For a photo in which a person is recognizable, you must secure a model release from the subject or, in the case of a minor, the subject’s parent or guardian and provide it to LEAF upon request. A sample model release is available here. *If you have a signed model release, please retain it in your personal files. If you are selected as a finalist, you will be asked to submit the release at that time.
- Entry deadline: All entries must be received through leaferie.org by 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time on July 15, 2017. You will receive a confirmation e-mail from a LEAF staff member that your submission has been received.
Photo entries will be judged based on creativity, quality, originality, and overall impact. Judging will be conducted by board and committee members of LEAF. Thirteen winning photographs will be chosen, including one Best of Show. Up to thirty honorable mentions will also be selected. Winning photographs and honorable mentions will be announced on leaferie.org and on LEAF’s Facebook page in summer 2017. The winners and honorable mentions will be notified of their status by July 31, 2017 and will appear on our website in summer 2017. LEAF will notify the winners and honorable mentions via the contact information provided at the time of entry; LEAF may disqualify anyone who fails to respond to the notification within five business days.
Please do not contact us about the status of entries or judging.
Contest is now closed. Thank you to all who entered!