LEAF is currently accepting applications for the following positions:
- Summer Intern (Education)
Interested in applying? Please review the position descriptions and application instructions below.
Opportunity: Summer Intern (EDUCATION)
Application Deadline: Friday, April 7/17
Do you have a passion for nature? Are you an enthusiastic person who loves teaching and working with children?
The Lake Erie Arboretum at Frontier (LEAF) is a tree museum located in Frontier Park with a mission to create educational opportunities and outdoor experiences. LEAF is seeking 2 interns, preferably with an education or science background, to conduct summer education programs and help coordinate events. The interns will be responsible for an 8-week program for children ages 6 – 9 held on Tuesday mornings in the Education Center. Duties include developing weekly themes and lesson plans focusing on nature, creating relevant art and science projects, marketing the program and facilitating the sessions each week under the supervision of the Program Manager. The interns will also assist with updating the Nature to Go Classroom in a Box kits for Grades K-8 and provide support for Children’s Art Classes for ages 4-12, Little Leaves programs for ages 5 & under, the weekly Thursday evening concert and theatre program known as Arts in the Arboretum, and a July 1 music festival. The interns will also assist as needed with the planning of adult events including ArborEAT’em, LEAF’s annual fundraiser.
- Outgoing, creative, with excellent communication and organizational skills
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to develop lesson plans and deliver programs to large groups
- Social media skills (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram)
- Ability to work independently
- Enthusiastic about working with children and nature
Notes and requirements:
- Child abuse clearances required
- Internship is 20 hours per week for 14 weeks. Hours are flexible with the exception of Tuesday mornings. Some weekend and evening hours required.
- $500 stipend
To apply please send a resume, cover letter, and the contact information of two references to Catherine Toews, Program Manager at email@example.com Application packages may also be mailed to 1501 W. 6th St., Erie 16505. Application deadline is April 7, 2017. Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Following the interview process two final candidates will be selected and an offer will be extended via phone or email. Start date will be in the third week of May 2017.